Saturday, January 1, 2011

Goodbye 2010

Goodbye 2010

I will not miss you, two-thousand-and-ten,
You took, and took, hardly giving again.
And what you took, cannot be replaced,
So be gone, good riddance, get out of my face!

You took my Dad, and e'en though it was time,
I'll always remember you committed that crime.
You stole from my mother, left her alone in grief.
For this act alone you're a barbarous thief.

But then you took Barry, still with more life to live,
Depriving the world of all that he'd give.
He triumphed o'er death by his faith, this is true,
But his vict'ry in no way exonerates you.

Then before your cruelty would at last have it's end,
You took Aunt Irene, injuring my mother again.
Add to this the recession, the heartache and sorrow,
And so many still fearing what may come tomorrow,

Your place in my memory is now made secure,
Twenty-ten was the year that I had to endure.
Many thanks I still give to my Father in Heaven,
But for spite I won't read them 'til twenty-eleven.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I have had many years like that when you are just ready to be done. 2010 was a hard year, but not one of my hardest personally. I gained a sweet little granddaughter and 2011 brings the promise of two new grandsons. And my son got a wonderful wife.

    You really did lose a lot this year. Good to see it kicked to the curb! Just don't make the mistake and put it in the recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete